Friday, May 23, 2014

JOSEPH VINSON

JOSEPH VINSON
“Index Synthesis”
4:53
2014
My every-day, apart from going to school and the combination of mundane activities one accumulates in adulthood, is endured behind a laptop screen. It is a place of rendezvous and a personal utopia for many; one can visually travel the world within seconds of searching any place on earth. My travel is done throughout the electronic components of musical computerized software; a form of sound that has infused itself in the way songs are made today. In the laptop, my hand is still present; my fingertips extend throughout the circuits within the computer and reveal themselves as an arrow designated on the screen. With this arrow I navigate the various parameters, knobs, switches, and wires of the digitized workspace. What I find most interesting about making music from a computer is that the sounds are always unique. There is the ability for one to begin with the most basic waveforms; sine, square, triangle, and an instrument that does not yet exist can be developed within seconds. With this project, I will demonstrate the way my “hand”, symbolized with the arrow clicker, travels throughout the program ‘Reason’. I will make a sound from a basic waveform and involve the complexity of utilizing various alterations to achieve a personalized instrument. This will all be done by using screen capture recording software; easily following the process by which something extraordinary can be made from what is most basic.

No comments:

Post a Comment