Friday, May 23, 2014

BRIANA HELLER

BRIANA HELLER
“Catharsis of the Every Day”
2014
4:10
I am an art major with a painting emphasis, and painting is something I do almost every day.  I filmed different aspects of painting: mixing, cleaning brushes, and putting paint to paper.  These are all close-up shot to emphasis the intimate, personal experience that painting is.  The backdrops are mostly plain (black or white), and all the interest/color in this piece comes from the colors of the paint.  I show paint dripping down my arm to exemplify the concept of emotional release; while I do not actually drip paint down my arm when I paint as part of my every-day life, I use these clips to show the daily emotional release that painting provides for me.  This idea of catharsis/ [emotional] cleansing is highlighted by the audio sounds of a shower that I have used in my video.  When coupled with the flowing paint imagery, the result is calmness.  These are my experiences of calmness in the every day.     

No comments:

Post a Comment